How to apply for home care assistance.

We understand that organising home care services can be a daunting task, and can be there every step of the way in your application for government funded home care services.

At Brightwater, we have helped thousands of Western Australians just like you get approved for subsidised home care, and begin their home care services with us. If you’re in need of care services while you’re waiting for funding, we can help you with that too.

Below is a quick and easy guide to help you get going. If you need any assistance with getting started, please call us on 1300 223 968.

1. Phone assessment

To access government funding for your home care services, you’ll need to call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422, to have an over-the-phone assessment.

My Aged Care was established by the Australian Government as a starting point to access government funded aged care services.

They will work out your needs and care arrangements, and determine whether you’re eligible for funding through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or a Home Care Package.

Before your assessment, we can talk you through the type of questions you’ll be asked and how to answer them so you get the most out of your funding.

  • Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP):

    CHSP is entry level support, subsidised by the Australian Government. It covers low-level support to help you with things like housework, personal care, transport and shopping. If your assessment shows you need CHSP support, you’ll be referred to the Regional Assessment Service (RAS) for a face-to-face assessment.

  • Home Care Package (HCP):

    Home Care Packages are for people with more complex care needs and are funded by the Commonwealth Government. HCP are flexible programs that include services such as support services, personal care, nursing, allied health and other clinical services. If your assessment shows you need a Home Care Package, your GP will need to send a referral to the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), who will arrange a face-to-face assessment with you or you can arrange for our Engagement Coordinator to meet with you and assist with contacting My Aged Care.

2. Face-to-face assessment

Face-to-face assessments are conducted in person, at your own home. The assessor will call you to arrange a time to visit you, and you are welcome to have a family member, friend or carer with you, if you choose.

  • A home support assessment with a Regional Assessment Service (RAS):

    If, based on the phone assessment, My Aged Care thinks you suit the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, they will arrange for a face-to-face assessment by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS). You will usually find out if you’re eligible in the face-to-face assessment. The assessor will tell you what services you’re eligible to receive, or explain why you’re not eligible.

  • A comprehensive assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT):

    If, based on the phone assessment, My Aged Care thinks a Home Care Package is suitable for you, you will have a comprehensive face-to-face assessment with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). After your assessment, the assessor will take some time to review the information and make a decision. You will find out the outcome through a letter, which will contain the decision, the level of package you have been approved for, the reasons for the decision, and a copy of your support plan.

Discover more on Your Aged Care

View more content
reasons-to-keep-reading-books-brain-power.jpg Article

Making the Transition: Resources for moving into a care facility

Making the decision to move out of one's home and into a care facility can be a difficult and emotional process. There are many resources and options available to help you make the transition as smooth and comfortable as possible.

4 min read
time-to-downsize-monthly-expenses.jpg Article

Self-managing a home care package – what does it entail?

Self-managed Home Care Packages (HCP) can help you maintain choice and control as you enter aged care. But it can be a lot of work. Here’s what you need to know.

6 min read
falls-week-link-preview.jpg Article

How much does home care cost?

If you are investigating home care for the first time, the most common question you may have asked is, ‘well, how much does this cost?’ And as with many things in aged care, the answer is, it depends. Often on a range of circumstances.

8 min read

Why you can trust Brightwater


Holistic approach to health

We have an in-house team of health professionals, that includes nurses, physios, OTs and more - who work together to ensure you receive the best quality care.


Not-for-profit since 1901

For over 100 years, we’ve been there for West Australians from all walks of life. With humble beginnings in Subiaco, today we provide services all across Perth.


Responsibility for research

We are the only WA home care provider with a dedicated Research Centre – a hub of discovery and innovation, collaborating with national and international universities to find innovative solutions to improve the quality of lives of our clients.


Dementia specialists

We were selected in 2018 to run the Australian pilot Specialist Dementia Care Unit, accommodating clients who would otherwise require care in a hospital setting and our learning will influence the whole industry in the coming years.