After some time in hospital, you might still need support on your road to recovery.

Our Transition Care Program (TCP) is designed to provide short term accommodation for older people straight after their discharge from hospital.

The purpose of your stay with us straight after hospital is to provide the care and support you need, and work towards moving you to more permanent accommodation.

From when you arrive with us, we carry out comprehensive assessments, and work alongside you and your family to prepare, implement and evaluate a personalised plan.

You and your family will have the opportunity to meet regularly with our social workers, who will guide you through your discharge plan. Depending on your situation, this may include returning home with added support or moving to a permanent residential aged care home.

Most of our transition care clients stay for 7-8 weeks, but some clients may need up to 12 weeks. By the end of that time, you will be discharged with referrals to community-based providers if required, or to residential aged care.

Our transition care locations

We have two locations, Brightwater Kingsley and Brightwater Birralee, which have been designed specifically for after-hospital care.


Are you or your loved one eligible for after hospital care?

You must get an assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) to determine if you are eligible for the transition care programme. Generally, you may be eligible if you are:

  • 65 years old or over
  • A patient in a public or private hospital
  • Have been told that you are ready to leave hospital
  • Would benefit from receiving services for a short period of time.


Transition Care Program fees

During your stay at Brightwater Kingsley or Birralee, you will be required to pay for the basic daily care fee, which helps pay for your day-to-day services such as meals, cleaning, facilities management and more. The basic daily care fee is paid by all residents and equates to a maximum of 85% of the full single age pension. The rate is currently $60.86 per day and gets updated twice a year (in March and September) in line with increases to the age pension by the Government.


Our Transition Care Program team includes

  • Registered and Enrolled Nurses
  • Care workers
  • Social workers
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Speech pathologists
  • Therapy assistants
  • Residential hotel services staff

Medical services will be provided by a GP and Geriatrician who visit weekly.

How to get started

If it sounds like our Transitional Care Program is right for you, ask your hospital social worker to submit a  referral to Brightwater and we will be in touch. 

If you have any questions about our Transitional Care Programme or any other services we provide, please contact us on 1300 223 968 or complete an enquiry form.

Discover more on Your Aged Care

View more content
dancing.jpg Article

A few tips to make adjusting to life in residential aged care easier and better

When someone you love moves into residential aged care, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about how it is all going to work out. Here is how you can help your loved one settle into aged care.

6 min read
true-love-is-timeless-shot-loving-senior-couple-taking-walk-outside.jpg Article

What to do when living at home is no longer an option

There are many reasons why people move into residential aged care. So what are some early steps you can take when you realise that you, or a loved one, can’t continue living independently?

9 min read
matthew-bennett-425573-unsplash.jpg Article

Can I go on holidays or take day trips when in residential aged care?

Life doesn’t have to stop when you live in residential aged care. In fact, we encourage everyone to continue living the life they enjoy. Here is everything you need to know about taking social leave in residential aged care.

3 min read

Why you can trust Brightwater


Holistic approach to health

We have an in-house team of health professionals, that includes nurses, physios, OTs and more - who work together to ensure you receive the best quality care.


Not-for-profit since 1901

For over 100 years, we’ve been there for West Australians from all walks of life. With humble beginnings in Subiaco, today we provide services all across Perth.


Responsibility for research

We are the only WA home care provider with a dedicated Research Centre – a hub of discovery and innovation, collaborating with national and international universities to find innovative solutions to improve the quality of lives of our clients.


Dementia specialists

We were selected in 2018 to run the Australian pilot Specialist Dementia Care Unit, accommodating clients who would otherwise require care in a hospital setting and our learning will influence the whole industry in the coming years.