Other ways to give feedback

If you are unsatisfied with how we have resolved your complaint the following organisations can be contacted:

Aged Care Safety and Quality Commission
Phone:  1800 951 822

Department of Communities
Phone: 08 6217 6888
Freecall: 1800 176 888

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office
Phone: 08 6551 7600
Freecall: 1800 813 583

NDIS Commission
A complaint can be made to the NDIS Commission by:

Use an advocacy service

Disability advocates can take action on their own behalf, or can assist another person, or a group of people with disability – they may work in a paid or voluntary capacity. Click here to find an advocacy service.