Key takeaways

  • An ACAT assessment is a quick and easy process to access government-subsidized aged care services.
  • It provides a clear understanding of the most suitable services for you and your care provider.
  • Family, friends, or carers can help, and the government offers additional support options like the National Relay Service, TIS, and OPAN.

How do I receive an ACAT assessment?

Two people talking in the garden.

How do I organise an ACAT Assessment?

An assessment with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) is the gateway to accessing government subsidised aged care services. Whether it be for care at home or residential aged care.

An ACAT assessment provides you and possible aged care providers with a clearer understanding of what services would provide the most support for you.

Organising an assessment is a quick and easy process. You can organise an assessment online through the My Aged Care portal. Or you can give the My Aged Care contact centre a ring on 1800 200 422. This can be particularly handy if you would like to talk with staff further about your needs.

What do I need to organise an ACAT Assessment?

You do not need a lot to organise an ACAT assessment. Nor do you need to prepare.

You just need a little bit of time, and your Medicare card. Make sure you have at least 10 minutes to complete the required details and organise an assessment.

Can anyone help me to organise an ACAT Assessment?

Your family members, friends or carers can help you to organise an assessment, whether you are applying online or via the phone. If they have your consent, they can even complete the application form on your behalf.

If you want to have a someone speak and act on your behalf throughout the application, you can appoint them as your representative with My Aged Care. This allows the My Aged Care team to talk directly to them. You can set this up at the same time as organising the assessment.

Other support available to you for an ACAT Assessment

The government provides a range of options if you require extra support organising an assessment.

The National Relay Service is available if you have a hearing or speech impairment.

If you would like to communicate in a language other than English, the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is available to help.

If you require an advocate to support you through the process, you can access one through the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN).

In Western Australia you can also contact Advocare if you feel you require extra support or someone to advocate on your behalf.

Want to know more about ACAT assessments?

Discover our full guide here.

The advice provided on this website is general advice only. It has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on this advice, you should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to your own objectives, financial situation and needs. If any products are detailed on this website, you should obtain a product disclosure statement relating to the products and consider its contents before making any decisions. Where quoted, past performance is not indicative of future performance.

Brightwater Care Group disclaims all and any guarantees, undertakings and warranties, expressed or implied, and is not liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including human or computer error, negligent or otherwise, or incidental or Consequential Loss or damage) arising out of, or in connection with, any use or reliance on the information or advice in this website. The user must accept sole responsibility associated with the use of the material on this site, irrespective of the purpose for which such use or results are applied. The information in this website is no substitute for specialist advice.