Respite Care Perth

Caring for a loved one can be very rewarding, but it can also be very demanding.

You might have somewhere to go. You might have something to do. Or, you might just need to recharge your batteries. Whatever the reason, our respite service can give you the peace of mind knowing your loved one is in good hands.

Whether someone just needs to be there, manage medication or the person you’re caring for is living with dementia, Brightwater’s team of carers can give you your much needed down time.

Temporary accommodation at Brightwater

While we do offer respite services in your own home, support in a residential aged care home may be more appropriate to allow carers to have a longer break.

Temporary accommodation can be provided for a minimum of one week through to nine weeks.

With a team of dedicated carers who have the time to look after every temporary residents’ needs, you can take time off knowing that the person you’re caring for is in good hands.

We can offer temporary accommodation at the following Brightwater homes:

Temporary accommodation may also be offered at Brightwater Huntingdale, Brightwater South Lake and Brightwater Redcliffe.

Contact us today

If you'd like to know more about respite, such as information on current vacancies, contact us on 1300 223 968 or fill in an enquiry form now.

Eligibility & Fees

To be eligible for respite in one of our homes, your loved one will need to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

If approved by an ACAT, respite fees may be subsidised by the Australian Government. Unlike permanent aged care, there are no accommodation charges, bonds, or income-tested fees. You will be asked to pay a basic daily fee, which is approximately 85% of the single Age Pension, and in some cases, a prepayment.

For more information on residential respite, please call 1300 223 968.

Contact Us

Frequently asked questions

View All FAQ’s
  • What is respite care in a nursing home?

    Respite care in a nursing home is temporary care and accommodation for a person aged over 65.

    At Brightwater, our residential respite service can provide temporary care and accommodation in a Brightwater home, from a minimum of one week through to nine weeks.

    For more information, visit our Residential Respite page.

  • What is an ACAT assessment and how can I arrange one?

    This is an assessment carried out by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) when an individual is hoping to access subsidised aged care services.

    An assessment can be arranged through My Aged Care after you have registered for and acquired an Aged Care number.

  • Why do I need to complete an Income & Assets form?

    Completing an Income and Assets Assessment will ensure that you do not pay more aged care fees than necessary.

  • Can I view all the residences I am interested in?

    Yes, appointments can be made to view our aged care homes.

    Please call 1300 223 968 and ask to be put through to our Welcome Team who will schedule a time for you at the homes that best suit your needs.

  • Can I take social leave, for example for day trips or family holidays?

    Yes, you are entitled to take 52 days of social leave in a financial year. 

    While you are on social leave, you will still be required to pay your agreed fees and daily accommodation costs.

    Brightwater will continue to hold your place for you while you are on social leave.

    Please contact us if you need to extend the period of time that you are on social leave.

    If extra social leave is required in addition to the 52 days, an additional fee will be charged to secure your place at Brightwater.

    If you are away from Brightwater for 7 days or more and you have not notified us, we may not be required to continue to secure a place for you. However, we will write to you before any such decision is taken.

    We would appreciate it if you could update us on any changes to your condition while on social leave.

  • Do you cater for special dietary requirements?

    Yes, we cater for many special dietary requirement needs such as diabetes, vegetarian or vegan diets, allergies or medical conditions such as dysphagia.

    Please discuss any specific dietary requirements with our Welcome Team.