Words have power, whether in the form of a convincing 2000 word essay or a short, snappy sentence.
We all love a good one-liner. Wrapped up in quotation marks, they're little snippets of bigger ideas that motivate us to keep going and inspire us to do more.
For people living with disability, recovering from injury or facing personal battles, quotes can be pretty powerful. Here are some of our favourites.
1. "We rise to great heights by a winding staircase of small steps." - Francis Bacon
2. "Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start." - Nido Qubein
3. "Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly. But the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway." - Mary Kay Ash
4. "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." - Confucius
5. "I don't need easy. I just need possible." - Bethany Hamilton
Bethany Hamilton was a rising surf star when, at the age of 13, she survived a shark attack. Despite only having one arm, she returned to professional surfing!
6. "If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
Because as they say, there's always light at the end of the tunnel!
7. "I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does." - L. M. Montgomery
8. "A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." - Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve famously played Superman in the 70s and 80s. But in 1995, he became paralyzed from the neck down after a horse riding accident. He was instrumental in raising awareness of and lobbying for research into spinal cord injuries.
9. "Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life." - Les Brown
10. "There is no greater disability in society than the inability to see a person as more." - Robert M. Hensel
11. "Setting goals is the first step into turning the invisible into the visible." - Tony Robbins
12. "A new challenge keeps the brain kicking and the heart ticking." - E. A. Bucchianeri
13. "A bend in the road is not the end of the road. Unless you fail to make the turn." - Helen Keller
Helen Keller was a deaf-blind author and activist who published 12 books.
14. "Believe you can and you're halfway there." - Theodore Roosevelt
KEEP READING » 16 positive quotes about ageing
At Brightwater, we're all about promoting wellbeing. We support younger people with complex disabilities, including acquired brain injury, multiple sclerosis, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease and other neurological conditions. We are an NDIS approved provider with 10 supported independent living homes across Perth, and we can also come to you.
Brightwater also provides home care, residential aged care and retirement living solutions for over 65s.